ESSENTIAL CARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR NATURAL STONE SURFACES
Cleaning Procedures & Recommendations
General Cleaning Clean stone surfaces with a cleaner designated safe for natural stone. Use a clean mop on floors and a soft cloth for other surfaces for best results. Don't use more than the recomended amount of any cleaning product. Too much may leave a film, causing streaks. Change rinse water frequently. Do not use products that contain lemon, vinegar or other acids on marble, travertine or limestone as these can etch the surface of the stone. Do not use scouring powders or creams; these products contain abrasives that may scratch the surface.
Floor Surfaces Dust mop interior floors frequently using a clean non-treated dry dust mop. Sand, dirt and grit do the most damage to natural stone surfaces due to their abrasiveness. Mats or area rugs inside and outside an entrance will help to minimize the sand, dirt and grit that can scratch a stone floor. Be sure that the underside of the mat or rug is a non-slip surface. Do not use vacuum cleaners that are worn, the metal or plastic attachments may scratch the surface. Consult our Care Guide or the Knowledge Base at www.stoneandtilepros.com that provides detailed instructions on properly caring for your floors.
Bath and Other Wet Areas In the bath / shower or other wet areas, soap scum can be minimized by using a squeegee after each use. Consult our Care Guide or theKnowledge Base at www.stoneandtilepros.comfor detailed answers for any particular questions and recommended products for resolving any issues that can arise in a bath area.
Counter/Vanity Top Surfaces Clean your countertops daily with a soft cloth or paper towel and a residue free cleaner designated safe for natural stone.
• If Streaking Occcurs
Buff the countertop with a clean white terry cloth or paper towel if streaking occurs.
• Use a Good Stone Polish Occasionally
Applying a good stone polish to the surface of the countertop will help prevent staining.
Countertops may need to have a penetrating sealer applied. If a sealer is applied, be sure that it is non-toxic and safe for use in food preparation surfaces. Consult our Care Guide or theKnowledge Base at www.stoneandtilepros.com for more detailed information about sealing.
Outdoor Pool & Patio Areas In outdoor pool, patio or hot tub areas, flush with clear water and use a mild bleach solution to remove algae or moss.
Do's and Don'ts
- Do dust mop floors frequently.
- Do clean surfaces with a stone safe cleaner.
- Do thoroughly rinse and dry the surface after washing.
- Do blot up spills immediately.
- Do protect floor surfaces with non-slip mats or area rugs and counter top surfaces with coasters, trivets or placemats, particularly under those containing alcohol or citrus juices. Many common foods and drinks contain acids that will etch or dull the stone surface.
- Don't place hot items directly on the stone surface. Use trivets or mats under hot dishes and placemats under china, ceramics, silver or other objects that can scratch the surface.
- Don't use vinegar, lemon juice or other cleaners containing acids on marble, limestone, travertine or onyx surfaces.
- Don't use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub & tile cleaners.
- Don't use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers or soft cleansers.
- Don't mix bleach and ammonia; this combination creates a toxic and lethal gas.
Stain Treatment and Other Issues
If possible, immediately blot spills with a clean paper towel. If something has soaked into the stone and stained it, a poultice may need to be applied. Consult our Care Guide or theKnowledge Base at www.stoneandtilepros.com for detailed instructions on how to treat a host of possible stains as well as resolve other issues.
We seal every stone that requires it before we install it, but a reapplication needs to be done periodically. You can purchase the product and do it yourself, or contact us to perform the service for you. Consult the Care Guide or the Knowledge Base at www.stoneandtilepros.com for more information about when and how to apply sealer.